Sunday, July 27, 2014

Easy Vegan Granola Bars



Have you ever gone through insane hunger pangs? Like the ones when you are so hungry that you can eat anything but still do not know what to think what to eat? If your answer is yes then Shake Hands.. We belong to same league.... hehe...

Granola Bars1


I still remember the days before marriage when I used to come home from The Great Traffic Jam of Ring Road of Delhi at 7:30pm in the evening hungry like anything... and Mumma was ready to do pooja for the evening... I would come home tired and hungry and mumma would silently chanting her evening prayers with only her lips moving would signal me to freshen up. She would have put water for tea for me... and by the time I would freshen up she would be done with prayers and would ask me what would I eat.. and I would irritatingly say anything and she would give me options... and I would get angry and say please anything but don't ask because i don't want anything but I can eat anything... (Even I don't know what does that mean.. ) She would quickly go and get something to eat for me... 

Fast forward to life after marriage.... Now I have keep things in store for me for such occasions as I am the only one to ask myself and I am the only one who who has to bear my own tantrums... So better cut the chase and keep something handy and healthy. 

These Vegan Granola Bars are my go to food when I don't want to eat anything but I can eat anything... They are good.. healthy... delicious.. no sugar  and I can eat one or two of them and they will satiate my hunger and keep me going... They are so easy to make.. and so good to keep in refrigerator for weeks...

P.S. : I still throw tantrums whenever I go back to see Mumma  [:)]


Here is my version of Granola Bars.. VEGAN....


Granola bars5


Ingredients : 

Baby Oats - 2 cups
Sunflower Seeds : 1/4 cup
Pumpkin Seeds : 1/4 cup
Silvered Almonds : 1/4 cup
Chopped Walnuts : 1/4 cup
Coconut Flakes : 1/4 cup
Coconut Oil : 1 tbsp
Raisins : 1/4 cup
Pitted Dates : 2 cups
Agave Nectar : 4 tbsp
Cinnamon Powder : 1 tbsp
Salt and Pepper : a pinch


Method : 

Toast Oats, Almonds, Walnuts, Sunflower and Pumkin Seeds in a pan or you can toast then in oven a 180 degrees for 10 min. In the meanwhile, put dates in food processor and pulse them till they become dough like... its okay if there are few bits and pieces left....

Now in a large bowl, mix everything together. Check if the mixture is sticking together.. we don't want it to fall apart. If it does sprinkle a little water on it. Now line a 8x8 baking pan with baking paper and spread the mixture as evenly as possible. Bake it in the oven for 15-20 min or until the house smells awesome and the bars are little goldeny browny on the top.

Take out of the oven and cut into desired shapes and let cool. Store in air tight containers and enjoy whenever you want. 

Tip : Put it in refrigerator where you can see them first thing so that when you raid your refrigerator in the middle of the night.. you just grab them even if your eyes are shut.. hehe.. 

1 comment: