Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Black Eyed Peas Mint Hummus


photo


Hummus have been my Butter for past 2 years. Btw.. I am one of those girls who take Bread and Butter literally. We live for our Bread and Butter, Eat for it and I can even die for it too.... There is something hypnotic in the aroma of hot lightly toasted bread and butter melting and oozing all over it. Its Heavenly... It can give me utmost satisfaction and is seriously the best taste, fragrance and sight for me... My nose turns to the direction of the bakery where bread is being baked and sometimes while walking with K, he has to drag me in the opposite direction because I will be walking with smile on my face, eyes half shut and nose taking in all the baking goodness aroma. God! I can be embarrassing sometimes...

Hummus is basically a Middle eastern dip made with Tahini, Chickpeas and is a staple food in many parts of middle east. Eaten mostly with vegetables and pita bread. It can be called a health food as its full of proteins and omega fatty acids and is a really good snack.

So for past 2 years on and off and for past 6 months dedicatedly, Hummus and Pita have been my Bread and Butter. It became so especially when my nutritionist allowed me to have it everyday as my evening snack. Thats when I really started looking forward reaching home and putting this pita bread in my grill toaster and spreading hummus generously all over it and munching and stuffing it in my mouth while sipping tea in between. So is the case with K by the way.

Over time I have found an easier version thats suits me and my taste buds. I don't like using canned chick peas or garbanzo beans as it may be called and soaking it overnight is too tedious! So one day just by experiment, I ended up making it with Black eyed peas. K doesn't like its name so we call it Benaam Dal (Nameless Pulse). He generally likes it made salad. But that day he didn't and I was craving Hummus as I was out of stock of it. Then there I found my Eureka Moment and ever since this is my staple recipe for Hummus. Its easier because you dont need to soak it overnight. Black eyed peas can be boiled within an hour's time. Awesome! Isn't it?


image

Here is how its made : 

Ingredients : 

1 Cup Boiled Black Eyed Peas aka Nameless Pulse
2 Tbsp of Tahini or more if u want
2 cloves of garlic
1 Tbsp Finely Chopped Mint leaves
Salt to taste
Juice of two medium sized lemons and their zest.
Olive oil and Cayenne Pepper to garnish


Method : 

Mix everything in blender.  Thats it! Really! Just spread it the way they do and pour on olive oil and sprinkle cayenne pepper and binge on it. Yuhuhuhuuu!





6 comments:

  1. lovely Upasana :) will definitely try it out !!! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jaya. Its worth trying and it will make itself addictive. :)

      Delete
  2. YUM YUM YUM!! don't think I need to say anything more!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was really yummy. I had cooked beans and fresh mint in my fridge and this was the perfect recipe. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was yummy. I had cooked beans and fresh mint in my fridge and this was the prefect combination. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete